Monday, April 6, 2009

Learnin' some culture

I heard on one of my favorite radio stations that today is the great Merle Haggard's birthday. In honor of Hag, I decided to introduce Dempsey to some of his music. I played "Seeing Eye Dog" and "Mama Tried," a story about what happens to a youngster who doesn't listen to his parents. Hint, hint, Dempsey:

Despite all my Sunday learnin',
Toward the bad I kept on turnin',
Till Mama couldn't hold me anymore.
And I turned 21 in prison,
Doin' life without parole.

While on the classic country theme, I also played Hank Williams' "Howlin' at the Moon." Dempsey really enjoyed that one, looking like the RCA dog when Hank howls. I'll try to get a video of that one.

Bailey, not surprisingly, isn't a fan of country music. She requested a rare Beatles cut: "Leave My Kitten Alone." Perhaps not coincidentally, Dempsey decided to go pee on the rug when I played that one.

Uncouth animals! Looks like we have to work on music appreciation for both of them. After we finish potty training.

1 comment:

  1. Mama Tried is my theme song! Great blog! I love your stories.

    Lu

    ReplyDelete