Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dempsey's new digs



We knew Dempsey was growing up quickly, but we hadn't really noticed how quickly until we peeked in his kennel earlier this week. Poor Dempsey could no longer sit up, and he was sorely lacking in leg room.  So yesterday at lunch, I went to pick up a new, larger kennel.

Because "spatial reasoning" is the part of the IQ test that I failed, I was worried this might be a repeat of Christmas 1998, when I helped assemble a one-wheeled bicycle for some poor kid. ("Look, Timmy! You get two presents: a unicycle, and a conceptualist sculpture!") 

The box promised "easy assembly," but remembering the inscrutable Chinglish instructions that came with the bike, I was still nervous. Luckily, the new kennel is made by a company based here in Minnesota that also makes electric cattle prods. I figured any U.S.-based company that makes electric cattle prods must write good, clear English instructions.

They do. Unfortunately, the assembly instructions were packed inside the kennel, and the only way to get them was to assemble the kennel first. Chicken, meet egg.

I fiddled around with the kennel for about 20 minutes, until I finally managed to create an interesting pyramid-like structure that had two sides open but would collapse if you breathed on it too heavily. Frustrated, I went to check out out the kitchen counter for a treat and wait for Doreen, who is generally smarter and more competent than I am.

Throughout all this, Dempsey was a perfect, patient little puppy, practicing his "long duration drop." In the time-lapse photos below, you can see his increasing boredom and dismay. He's so tolerant of human shortcomings. We're very lucky to have such a good dog!



No comments:

Post a Comment